Thursday, April 8, 2010

"Brand New Key"

Relationships in the Bible

In 1971, Melanie Safka wrote and sang the song, "Brand New Key." It was a very cute, kinda folksy tune that I've remembered since my childhood. And without fail, when being lighthearted about my own attraction to someone or a friend's attraction to someone else, I always sing the refrain of the song which goes like this:
"I've got a brand new pair of roller skates, you've got a brand new key.
I think that we should get together and try them on to see.
I been lookin' around awhile, you got something for me.
Oh, I got a brand new pair of roller skates, you got a brand new key..."

If you are too young to remember the tune, try to find it and listen to it. I believe you too, like me, will find it quite enjoyable and fitting when "relationships" is the topic of the hour. And that brings me to this particular blog.

The next bible study series will explore some of the most intriguing relationships in the bible. These relationships - though some are - are not always intimate or romantic, but have and will leave indelible imprints on our lives. To date (as I am open to suggestions), the following will be discussed over the course of seven weeks:

Sarah and Hagar
Ruth and Naomi
David and Jonathan
Vashti and Esther
David and Bathsheba
Jesus and Mary of Magdala - aka Mary Magdalene
Jesus and the Beloved Disciple

Date: Sunday, April 11, 2010
Time: 9:30am
Location: Sanctuary at Tabernacle Baptist Church, 475 Boulevard NE, Atlanta, GA 30308
Phone: (404) 876-3777

*Please bring a bible - preferably the New Revised Standard Version (I also like the King James Version as a compliment).

I hope to see you all on Sunday!

THEOLOGIA HABITUS EST!
Theology is a way of life

2 comments:

  1. I am very familiar with the Jonathan and David story. I was intreged by it when I first read it with a critical eye for the first time. It is very clear as the type of relationship that Jonathan and David had.

    It tickles me to hear theologians attempt to cover this story up or even make excuses as to what they think is going on here.

    I can't wait to have this discussion in our next class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, but on the contrary, "theologians" (if they are theologians), are not attempting to cover up anything about what is so painfully obvious. The only people attempting to "cover up," or alter what is explicit are those uneducated, untrained and misguided preachers, teachers, lay leaders and politicians - who are blinded and motivated by hate and ignorance.

    I too am looking forward to the discussion at the appropriate week. I am also looking forward to hearing more from you - Ms./Mr. Anonymous.

    Peace,
    Rev. Henry

    ReplyDelete