Wednesday, August 24, 2011

"For All We Know..."

My Dearest Beloved: 

Once again, life has dealt me a devastating blow.  On August 8, 2011, I lost my mother, Patricia Lawrence Henry, "Pat."  What follows is a short tribute to the woman through which I chose to enter into this earthly realm.  I thank you in advance for your patience and understanding as I wade through these dark and troubling waters.

...AND I REMEMBER

               Patricia Lawrence Henry
                                 "Pat"
             10/29/1947 - 08/08/2011
Living ain’t easy.  Dying ain’t either.  Failure to do either is not an option.  West African tradition teaches us that before we enter into this earthly realm, our soul makes a contract with our Father/Mother/God to do a certain thing or things while we are here on earth.  Another component of this tradition is that we are afforded the opportunity to choose our earthly mother and father, and I chose you.  For while in a spiritual time, space and place, I saw you and knew all that you were in a pure, unlimited and in an all understanding way – and I saw in you traits that I wished to have in order to carry out my soul’s contract.  For obvious reasons, I wanted your looks.  I wanted your smarts and intelligence, your laughter, your “mother wit,” your creative writing skills, and a flare for the dramatic in style and being.  I wanted your strength and courage.  I desired to love fiercely and to fight with reckless and determined abandonment.  For if I had not chosen you for my mother, I would not be the woman I am today.  In your leaving, and through all of our experiences, good, bad, or ugly; right, wrong or indifferent, if I had it to do all over; I would choose to be your daughter again.

Goodnight Pat, I love you.  I have loved you all of my life.  Look for me, because I'll be looking for you - on the other side of midnight.  Peace.
© Dorinda G. Henry, 2011

THEOLOGIA HABITUS EST!

3 comments:

  1. And so it is....that you are your mother's only child..breathed her breathe, received her blessings, and are surviving because of her type of love. What may have been, what will be, she will always be your mother. RIP, Patricia Lawrence Henry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The family should read this. These are healing words for all. You are a good daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is praying towards your future. That you continue to dwell in the spirit of your mother.
    Lord knows you are as beautiful as she was.

    ReplyDelete