Tuesday, June 1, 2010

"A Tale of Two Sistahs"

Esther

"You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you.
You're so vain, I'll bet you think this song is about you
.
Don't you? Don't You?"

Well it ain't! Oh sure, within this book is one of the scriptural text that clearly have a lot of men out there thinking they are supposed to be "Lord" and "Master" of their household. No doubt, there are both men and women who believe that way, and who have bought into this notion that the man is the head and even "King" of everything. Some women even have the nerve to blush when a man says to them, "I'm looking for my Queen." I mean, really... Why? How in the name of God are you looking for a Queen and you're not the "King" of or over anything? What is even more ridiculous is that most of them who have the nerve to utter the phrase, don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of! So ladies, the next time some good looking, good smelling, good talking and dare I say, good - - - - - - - man tell you he's looking for his Queen, ask him for directions to his Kingdom. In fact, ask him for the keys to his Kingdom. Find out how many "chariots" he has in the garage and which ones are yours! Am I being flip and smart in the mouth? Of course I am. That's what I do. But I am serious about this thing. And, if by some quirk of fate, you do run into a man who indeed has a Kingdom and wants to make you his Queen, RUN! Run away as fast as you can!

Why? Well let's put our feet to the earth and our ear to the wind to hear what the ancestors would have us to know. In the book of Esther, a feast is in the making. King Ahasuerus is preparing a feast for all the people in the palace, "both great and small." Now the palace was something to see ya'll. From the description of it, it sounds like it would be the result of all of the top interior designers and HGTV carpenters and contractors coming together and allowed to, "do what you will or may!" There was "white cotton and wool" curtains, hanging violet with cords of fine linen and purple to silver rings and pillars of marble.... couches were of gold... sitting atop marble pavement (floors), with carpet (rugs) of white linen and silk." And the wine.... The wine was plentiful! There was no lack. The guest were all served in "vessels of gold" and not one was like the other (1: 1-8).

Also, Queen Vashti, "made a great feast for all the women in the royal house," which was the King's (v. 9). Okay, problem number one. The King is having a feast for all the people, both great and small. But the Queen is having a feast for all the women. Do you see where I'm going here? The women were not a part of the "great and small" population. So, Queen Vashti, being a woman herself, and up to this point, not on the list of invitees to the King's great feast, decided to have a "girl's night out" of her own. At some point on the seventh day, the King, full of wine and full of himself, sends his castrated boys to "bring Vashti the Queen before the king with the royal crown to show the people and the princes her beauty.... But the Queen, Vashti refused to come at the king's command (vv. 11, 12). Okay, problem number two - and you know I have to put it out there as real as I can, so here's Queen Vashti's response according to the black woman's cotton patch version commentary... "What? He wants me to do what? And put on what? The royal crown? Negro please... I ain't! I am the Queen baby! I ain't gettn' up and putting on my good @$$ royal crown, leaving my good @$$ guest to come over there to dance and parade around for him and his drunk @$$ friends!" Yep, that's exactly what the ancestors wanted me to share with you. I tell you, one of these days I'm gonna have to do a black woman's cotton patch version of the bible. I must. I really must. But until then, I'll make use of what I have.

Where was I? Oh, so Vashti refused to degrade herself for the benefit of her husband, the King. I have to be honest with you that a couple of my bible study participants (women) had the nerve, the temerity, the audacity, the unmitigated gall, to fix their mouths to suggest, "Vashti was 'smelling herself!'" Whaaaaaat? She was "smelling herself?" The Queen! When I tell you they have done a job on us, I mean it. Make no mistake about it, I got 'em together about it. Love ya'll! Anyhue, embarrassed and angry, the King consults with his advisers, who in return instruct him in the way of the law of the day, that not only had Queen Vashti wronged him, but she had "done wrong to all the princes, and to all the people... For this deed of the Queen shall reach all women, so that their husbands shall be despised in their eyes and they shall say, King Ahasuerus commanded Vashti the queen to be brought in before him, but she did not come" (vv. 13-16). They went on to suggest to the King that a decree go out and Queen Vashti not be allowed to come before the King anymore and her "royal estate" be given to another, "who is better (obedient) than she... The decree shall be proclaimed and published throughout all his empire... that all wives shall give honor to their husbands, both great and small... That every man should bear rule in his own house" (vv. 19-22). Umph...

Well, I shouldn't have to tell you this, but I am done with this post. No, I am not going to go into the rest of the story, because it is nothing more than another narrative about the manipulation and exploitation of another woman, Hadassah (Esther), by men for their own benefit. Yes, within this text is the overly used phrase, "For just such a time as this," which comes right after Esther, who like other women in scripture before her, is pimped out by her uncle Mordecai, and then confronted, threatened even - by him, the very man that pimped her out in the first place - to risk her life in order to save his and the life of others (Ch. 4).

For me the book of Esther is about the expectant and preferred behavior of women in an androcentric society. It is about everyday challenges of women today and what happens when our beauty, talent, confidence, education and self-worth threaten the status, power and positions of men. Whether it be professional or romantic, they seek to replace us for another that ultimately does the same thing - she just uses a little more wiggle in her wag. ;)

"
You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you
You're so vain, I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? Don't You? Don't You?"
© Dorinda G. Henry, 2010

THEOLOGIA HABITUS EST!

2 comments:

  1. Well, well, well my Sista has done it again! lol. You know you can make us think and rethink how we read and interpret what is written in the bible.

    It is very obvious that the Queen had balls! (Sorry for the pun!) but she stood up for what she believed in and demanded respect. Unfortunately the King did not like this nor did any of the men in the kingdom.

    Throughout the bible the men has to be in control at all cost regardless of who may get hurt or killed in the process. Hmmmmm?

    Looking at men in those times and looking at men now seems to not be much difference. However, women have come a long way and still have a long way to go. In reality, women have all the power! (If you know what I mean?) But they give their power away for love, and hopes of a man committed to her and her children. WAKE UP!

    I know some men are going to get me for that comment, but the truth is the truth.

    from a man's point of view!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hush ya mouth! lol... I tell you it is always "Good News" to hear from the brothers, especially those who have done some work - as it appears to be the case here. Thank you for your input! As I was writing this post, I had a few friends warn me that people would think I was another one of these sistahs that hates the brothers. On the contrary... I need you! We need each other - at our fullest and at our best. Iron sharpens iron! Peace to you, and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete