Tuesday, September 18, 2012

"Don't You Think It's Rather Funny?"

"Jesus said to them, my wife."

Yes, I know, I know...  But please...  Cut a sister some slack.  I lost my mother in August 2011.  I lost my father's mother in February 2012, published my first book, AND, it's an election year!  Hell... I had to take a break.  But really, you all know that Jesus and the man's life is nowhere near where we were in Reading the Bible Again for the First Time.  We were just about to get into 1 Samuel when life fell down on top of me, and yes, consequently, I've been derelict in my duties to you.  But suffice it to say, I am still on the wall!  So when the news came out of Harvard concerning the newly released (notice I did not say "newly discovered") papyrus suggesting the possibility of Jesus having a wife was too much for me not to step back into the water for a brief moment.

Now, you all know this is not anything that shook me up or came as a surprise.  I have played around with this topic before and have most certainly opined strongly about it.  What I am most taken aback by, however, is how dismissive people, Christians, and dare I say some scholars have been concerning the news.  I don't know about you, but I was excited to learn that, arguably, we now have definitive information that would - at the very least - suggest that discussions, debates, beliefs, or what have you, were going on in communities of thought in the early church that a certain Mediterranean Jewish peasant, named Jesus, did indeed have a wife.  That the man we have come to know as Jesus the Christ, the Messiah, may have gone so far as to even acknowledge, declare, or decree her to be a disciple! 

Okay, granted this may not be that big of an issue for you, but, to coin a phrase, "Never in my lifetime," would I have imagined the release of tangible evidence that can be studied, debated, added to the already loud discourse surrounding the Historical Jesus - the man, the message, the ministry - taking place in the academy.  Personally, for what it's worth, I will not allow it to be dismissed and swept under the rug.  It gives me goose-bumps!  As a woman in ministry, I'm excited to be alive at this time and in this space and place.  I, therefore, caution some scholars, lay leaders, teachers and preachers; this is not the time to act so blasé, as if it doesn't matter, it's old news.  THIS IS BIG NEWS!  Rather, this is GOOD NEWS!  Everyone has not taken "Introduction to New Testament."  Information accessed in such a class is only studied in academia, by "intellectuals" who then sit around and engage in what I call intellectual masturbation.  It is "privileged" information and it is now finding its way into mainstream - where regular, ole folk like Mama, Bo Daddy, Peaches, Mr. Junior Boy and Ms. Emma across the street can get it, have an opportunity to explore it deeper and consequently, become better informed about the foundation of their/our systems of belief.

Why is that important?  Because while in seminary, I always raised the question; "What good is the Black Theologian?"  Now, as the resident scholar/Preacher, we have an awesome opportunity to take a break from the intellectual masturbation with other Black Theologians/Preachers and engage the "Beloved Community" in ways that may have been blocked to us, or in some instances, by us, that could lead to extraordinary transformation, reconciliation and, redemption.  So, yes, I'm excited!  I'm ecstatic!  I am bursting at the seams to jump right into the discussion and encounter "everyday people" on what it all means personally, theologically, historically, and spiritually.  This is our time.  Yes!  This is our moment.  Carpe diem!  This is our "Call," our, "Charge to Keep."  To qualify it as anything other than that would be to abandon its most fundamental essence, and thus our purpose. 

"A charge to keep I have,
A God to glorify,
A never-dying soul to save,
And fit it for the sky.

To serve the present age,
my calling to fulfill:
O may it all my powers engage
To do my Master's will!

Arm me with jealous care, 
As in Thy sight to live;
And O Thy servant, Lord, prepare;
A strict account to give!

Help me to watch and pray,
And on Thyself rely,
Assured, if I my trust, betray,
I shall forever die."
                       (Charles Wesley) 
© Dorinda G. Henry, 2012

THEOLOGIA HABITUS EST!

2 comments:

  1. I wish God was betrayed as a woman in
    Chrisianity. Things would be a LOT different
    in this world!!!! Good Luck to that happening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous... We don't have to wait for God to be portrayed as a woman, all we have to do is to see, hear and speak of the Divine in the feminine...

    ReplyDelete